MacDuffs Soap Co. - Almond Biscottie - Aftershave Splash
Description from MacDuffs:
Notes: Roasted Coffee Bean, Bitter Almond, Allspice, Dark Chocolate, Cocoa Absolute, Green Coffee, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Patchouli
"Dogs are such agreeable friends. They ask no questions, they make no criticisms." - George Elliot
Since Macduff turned five this August (2021), I wanted to do a tribute soap to acknowledge his strong presence both in the business and my life. Every label I’ve designed, every scent that I’ve researched and formulated, Macduff was there not too far away, either laying on my feet or snoring away in his ill-fitting bed beside my desk. In fact, that’s where he is right now as I write this.
Why Macduff? A lot of people wonder if it's my last name or where that name comes from. When I first decided to start this business, I was struggling with a name and on a whim I chose “Macduff” as I had just brought him home a few short months ago, and, as a demanding Scottie puppy, obviously on my mind quite a bit.
Back then, I only had six scents and only sold hand soaps. One of these original scents was a simple blend of coffee, spice and bitter almond called Almond Biscotti--I still sell that hand soap to this day. Countless times I’ve accidentally spelled it “biscottie” which in part inspired the idea to use this scent as a tribute to Macduff. I also used to have his face on the labels I originally designed, and so this is a throwback to that as well.
Almond Biscottie is a rich and decadent coffee scent. Initial notes of bitter almond and some green coffee essential oil open up the scent, (green coffee has a herbal, peppery and almost cinnamon like note quality). The almond, while punchy, quickly fades to a delicious blend of vanilla, dark chocolate, roasted coffee and allspice. You will also find tonka bean absolute, which has an almond like smell, and with the addition of patchouli, lends a buttery quality to the dry down. There is plenty of sweetness here, but with the dry, roasted coffee, there should be enough nuance here for someone looking for a deep and rich scent.
About Their Splash
- Alcohol free witch hazel and aloe vera based splash
- Organic Jojoba oil and glycerine help the skin retain moisture (emollient).
- Uses Olivem, which is a water-soluble fat with sebum recovering activities (sebum is the oily, waxy substance produced by your body’s sebaceous glands). Olivem has strong emolliency and lubricant properties that offers a distinctive skin smoothness and long-term moisturizing effects.
- DL-Panthenol, or Vitamin B5 is used to rehydrate dry, damaged skin
- Hydrolyzed Oat Protein* and silk peptides enhance the moisturizing properties of their splash and imparts a velvet-like smoothness after drying.
- Allantoin is widely used in cosmetic, dermatological and pharmaceutical formulations for its soothing and anti-irritating properties. Allantoin stimulates healthy, normal tissue formation even at low concentrations.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract and Vitamin E are antioxidants that extend the life of their splash, but also have beneficial moisturizing properties.
- White Willow Bark is an astringent.
- All of their fragrance oils are paraben and phthalate free.
- As this is a water based product, they must use preservative to keep their aftershave splash free from bacteria and mould.
*The manufacturer states that the product is gluten free however because it is made from the proprietary hydrolysis of oats, there may be traces of gluten remaining. The manufacturer has tested several lots and all contained less than 20ppm gluten.
Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera Juice, Glycerine, Polysorbate 20 (Emulsifier), Olive Oil PEG-7 Esters (Ecocert Emulsifier), Organic Jojoba, Preservative (Propylene Glycol (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate), White Willow Bark, Sodium Lactate, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Silk, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Vitamin E, Allantoin, Vitamin B5 (DL-Panthenol), Essential Oil Blend
Made in Canada