MacDuffs Soap Co. - Trail Tobacco - Aftershave Splash
Description from MacDuffs:
Notes: Cured Tobacco Leaf, Lemon, Spiced Plum, Roasted Coffee, Butterscotch, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Chocolate, Cognac, Vanilla
"I've made it a rule to never smoke more than one cigar at a time." Mark Twain
The enjoyment of pipe tobacco is much like wet shaving. Both hobbies place an emphasis on the “experience” in that there is a ritual component surrounding the product, going far beyond their practical use. The start of this ritual is the savouring of the smell of raw tobacco, carefully examining the nuances much like enjoying the scent of a soap “off the puck”. Then there is the removal of yourself from the troubles of the day, taking your time, relaxing often reflecting: a full appreciation of the experience. Finally, both hobbies have strong online presences, sharing reviews, useful tips, and of course, a sense of community.
Many tobacco scents treat the tobacco as a supporting character in a larger theme and this is done with great success. My approach here, however, is to treat the tobacco itself as the whole, mimicking the rich, multi faceted nuances of cured tobacco blends I buy from the tobacconist. Depending on the blend, sometimes I can pick up notes of coffee or vanilla, chocolate or plum, mild citrus or even a hint of butterscotch. As such I use these notes as the basis of my most recent version of Trail Tobacco (Fall 2021), including the addition of tobacco absolute, gauaicwood, buddhawood, cypriol, sandalwood absolute, and a slight hint of chocolate.
I doubt it’s possible to match the complexity and authenticity of an actual tobacco blend, but as my most continually reformulated scent, I will keep striving all the same.
About Our Splash
- Alcohol free witch hazel and aloe vera based splash
- Organic Jojoba oil and glycerine help the skin retain moisture (emollient).
- Uses Olivem, which is a water-soluble fat with sebum recovering activities (sebum is the oily, waxy substance produced by your body’s sebaceous glands). Olivem has strong emolliency and lubricant properties that offers a distinctive skin smoothness and long-term moisturizing effects.
- DL-Panthenol, or Vitamin B5 is used to rehydrate dry, damaged skin
- Hydrolyzed Oat Protein* and silk peptides enhance the moisturizing properties of our splash and imparts a velvet-like smoothness after drying.
- Allantoin is widely used in cosmetic, dermatological and pharmaceutical formulations for its soothing and anti-irritating properties. Allantoin stimulates healthy, normal tissue formation even at low concentrations.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract and Vitamin E are antioxidants that extend the life of our splash, but also have beneficial moisturizing properties.
- White Willow Bark is an astringent.
- All of our fragrance oils are paraben and phthalate free.
- As this is a water based product, we must use preservative to keep our aftershave splash free from bacteria and mould.
*The manufacturer states that the product is gluten free however because it is made from the proprietary hydrolysis of oats, there may be traces of gluten remaining. The manufacturer has tested several lots and all contained less than 20ppm gluten.
Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera Juice, Glycerine, Polysorbate 20 (Emulsifier), Olive Oil PEG-7 Esters (Ecocert Emulsifier), Organic Jojoba, Preservative (Propylene Glycol (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate), White Willow Bark, Sodium Lactate, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Silk, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Vitamin E, Allantoin, Vitamin B5 (DL-Panthenol), Paraben + Phthalate Free Fragrance Oil, Essential Oils
Made in Canada