MacDuffs Soap Co. - Old Strathcona - Aftershave Splash
Description from MacDuffs:
Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Basil, Tarragon, Rosewood, Geranium, Tree Moss Blend, Mushroom Absolute, Carnation Absolute, Vetiver, Tonka Bean, White Patchouli
“Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.” - Henry David Thoreau
Strathcona was a trading town on the southern banks of the North Saskatchewan River, serving as neighbour and a trading partner with the city of Edmonton on the north bank. A few short years after finally reaching “city” status, Strathcona was absorbed by the faster growing Edmonton and was amalgamated in 1912. Today, this area is recognized as “Old Strathcona” and is home to the city’s cultural center, hosting many of our festivals, independent theatres and music venues, all while communicating its history through original architecture, even it’s train station remains.
It makes sense then that this history serves as the inspiration for my barbershop scent: a barbershop (as it applies to the perfumery world--the wet shaving world that word has a slightly different meaning) contains a strong “fougere” element (lavender, geranium, coumarin/tonka bean), a combination that was discovered by perfumers in the 19th century. Fougere has become a staple in the fragrance industry with many modern innovations that have continually revitalized the scent, keeping tradition alive while still moving forward.
Old Strathcona makes a bold herbal green opening with the inclusion of basil and tarragon, both of which share some similarities with anise but remain distinct and add their own nuances. Bergamot and lemon smooth out the opening which goes into a floral heart of rosewood, carnation and geranium. The base of the scent is the true star featuring white patchouli, tonka bean, a trio of tree mosses (oak, cedar, pine), a slight amount of vetiver and finally tenacious mushroom absolute for a bit of earthy saltiness.
Excluded is the classic lavender addition to make room for rosewood, giving a different kind of floral sweetness distinct from the more popular lavender fougeres.
*Please note that I am using natural tree moss absolutes, which are suspected to cause skin sensitization in some individuals--although there is some controversy in the perfumery community about how these conclusions were reached. All the same, this is your warning so you can make a decision that best suits your skin.
About Their Splash
- Alcohol free witch hazel and aloe vera based splash
- Organic Jojoba oil and glycerine help the skin retain moisture (emollient).
- Uses Olivem, which is a water-soluble fat with sebum recovering activities (sebum is the oily, waxy substance produced by your body’s sebaceous glands). Olivem has strong emolliency and lubricant properties that offers a distinctive skin smoothness and long-term moisturizing effects.
- DL-Panthenol, or Vitamin B5 is used to rehydrate dry, damaged skin
- Hydrolyzed Oat Protein* and silk peptides enhance the moisturizing properties of their splash and imparts a velvet-like smoothness after drying.
- Allantoin is widely used in cosmetic, dermatological and pharmaceutical formulations for its soothing and anti-irritating properties. Allantoin stimulates healthy, normal tissue formation even at low concentrations.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract and Vitamin E are antioxidants that extend the life of their splash, but also have beneficial moisturizing properties.
- White Willow Bark is an astringent.
- All of our fragrance oils are paraben and phthalate free.
- As this is a water based product, they must use preservative to keep their aftershave splash free from bacteria and mould.
*The manufacturer states that the product is gluten free however because it is made from the proprietary hydrolysis of oats, there may be traces of gluten remaining. The manufacturer has tested several lots and all contained less than 20ppm gluten.
Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera Juice, Glycerine, Polysorbate 20 (Emulsifier), Olive Oil PEG-7 Esters (Ecocert Emulsifier), Organic Jojoba, Preservative (Propylene Glycol (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate), White Willow Bark, Sodium Lactate, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Silk, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Vitamin E, Allantoin, Vitamin B5 (DL-Panthenol), Paraben + Phthalate Free Fragrance Oil, Essential Oils
Made in Canada